Friday, February 17, 2012

Liquid Soap Made from Bar Soap

My lovely daughters kept leaving me a ooooeey goooey gross mess when they were done with their baths and showers.  It completely grosses me out to pick up slime off the bathtub floor, so I decided to try and find a soap for them...enter Pinterest (of course) and I found several recipes for homemade liquid soap.  Now, I fill up an old shampoo bottle and they can squirt away onto their bath sponges and scrub away- we're all a litle happier over this.
One bar of soap, water, and a little glycerin makes a GALLON of liquid soap.  They were using up at least one bar of soap a week before; this lasts us well over a month.  My husband and I still use the bar soap or bodywash, but this has been a great thing for our girls.

All you need plus water
2 cups soap, grated really fine
20 cups water
2 Tbl. glycerin

I used one bar of Dial bath soap- it was a little more than 2 cups. The glycerin I bought at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon in the soap making section of the store.


Grated Soap makes me smile!  (Weird- huh?)

Heat the water on medium heat as you grate the soap. Add the soap and stir gently until the soap is completely melted.  Add the glycerin. At this point, I pour mine into pitchers and allow to cool; this makes it pouring into smaller containers much easier once it is cool.

Once the soap is cool, (I let mine just get lukewarm) pour into containers that you can use for your soap.

NOTE:  The texture is NOT the same as body wash or liquid soap and I haven't tried it in a soap pump yet, but I am over that with the savings I have seen! 

Tell us what you think after you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment