Thursday, February 16, 2012

Birthday Party

It's finally over... Hailey's 8th Birthday Party Sleepover, and let me just say I am tired! Who knew 8 little girls could wear a person out so much? Well, in all honesty Michelle and I know that very well but have decided that the smiles that appear on our children's faces make it worth it! Now Michelle already showed you the invitations but I'm just going to attach them again to complete this post.
I love how they turned out! (Good job, Michelle)
After invitations were complete off to Pinterest http://pinterest.com/ we went to find ideas for decorations, cakes, and games. Let me just say I love love love Pinterest! With the sleepover theme it was easy to decide on decorations. I set a table to make it look like a bed with pillows and blankets. Then on top of blankets I scattered all kinds of candy. The girls thought they had entered a candy store; they even played a real life Candyland game. I know the parents were thanking me the next day for all the sugar :) shhh.
I decided to make Hailey a special birthday shirt to wear to school. I bought just plain shirts to decorate with fabric I cut out with my Cricut. This turned out to be a little more challenging that I had thought, but this was my first attempt at cutting fabric. After some trial and error, I ended up with a great shirt.
First, I did some practice cuts on scrap paper to make sure my sizes weren't off. I thought I had decided on the design I wanted but you will see that as I work on projects they tend to change into something totally different most of the time.
Before you cut your fabric you need to purchase an item called Heat n Bond. You will Iron this onto your fabric giving it a more stickable texture to help it adhere to the Cricut mat. make sure you use a clean sticky mat for fabric cuts, and a new Cricut blade. If you mark your blade with a F for fabric it will help you remember which is which. After fabric is cut just iron it on. Then for some extra touches I used stickles tracing around edges.
For Hailey's treat for class she wanted to take homemade Melting Snowman cookies. These are so easy. I was short on time so I took the easy way out with pre packaged sugar cookies.....come on it was already 2:15am I was tired.
Melting Snowman Cookies
Cut into 1/2 slices and bake according to package.
(They don't have to be perfectly round you want them to look a little messy)
Next I used a mixture of Cookie Icing and Whipped Vanilla Icing and mixed it together then microwaved it for about 8 sec to help drizzle on cookies. You want icing to run off the sides and look sloppy.
For the head of the snowman I used large marshmallows and microwaved them for about 6 secs then took them out and cut in half and placed sticky side on cookie . Press down a little to make it look smushed.
Finally decorate faces and body with different color icing.
Now the Cake... Hailey choose the one she wanted on Pinterest. This was my first try at piping a cake and I think it turned out pretty good. The cake had four layers top one yellow, two middle ones just a hint of cherry and the bottom layer was cherry. For the cherry flavor and color I used koolaid. for the icing I made a homemade buttercream icing for sides and vanilla icing for top. I have to say this was one of my best tasting cakes ever. It was a big hit!
Breakfast the next morning I made pancakes and used food coloring in the batter and the girls thought it was the coolest thing ever. Overall, I think that the party was a great success.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post shellie I wish I had time to be as creative as you. I'm going to have to hire you for parties once I have kids! Lol oh & I like the flowers on the trebles.. wonder where you got them :)
    -christen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christen It is ton's of fun. By the time you slow down to have kids you will find more time for things like these. IT s so much fun! As for those flowers.. they are great! They have been in several different rooms already. Haliey loves them.

    ReplyDelete