Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Freezer Strawberry Jam (Apple Juice Instead of Sugar)

I love homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam!  The girls and I made some last year, but it bothered me like crazy that there was soooooo much sugar in it (like the same amount of sugar as fruit- eeeek!) When was the last time you gave your kiddos a cup of strawberries and a cup of sugar as a side???? NEVER?  Me either.  But it was yummy and we loved it.  This year, I thought there HAS to be better options...so I began to look around online, and found this recipe.

We like it!  It is a little tart- ummmm...sugar...and the "set" is a little softer than normal. I will probably sprinkle a little sugar on toast when they use it and on pb&j. I think we are going to LOVE it as a topping for ice cream, pancakes, and waffles!

The only DOWNSIDE is it took up half a shelf in my freezer.  I am really thinking I need a second freezer- one for produce and one for freezer meals!

Here is the recipe:

First the Strawberry Patch...a friend and I took our girls plus a couple extras on a "field trip" to pick the berries.  We were at the end of a very early season and were feeling fortunate to be able to find any to pick.

Our 2 little ones wouldn't stay out of the berries- YUMMY!

Now the recipe:
8 cups strawberries- washed and stems removed
1 3/4 cup apple juice
4 1/2 Tbl. Pectin for No Sugar Recipes

  • Mash the strawberries in a large bowl.
  • In a small pan, bring the apple juice and pectin to a boil. Boil for one minute.
  • Remove from heat and stir quickly into the strawberries.
  • Stir quickly and continuously for 1 minute.
  • Ladle into prepared containers. I used glass canning jars, because I had them and they are so pretty.
  • Cool in refrigerator and then place in freezer.
  • Can be kept in the freezer for a year or in the refrigerator for 3 weeks.
Here are pictures of the process, because I like to see it all in pictures.



We "mashed" them in a little chopper- pulse on and off for the right consistency. Then we used Pampered Chef's Mix and Chop to mash any that were still too chunky!  ;)
This is the pectin I found and used. I really wish I knew where to buy it in big bulk- have to research that!

The pectin and apple juice cooking to a boil.

The finished product- ready for lids and to the refrigerator.

We picked about 20 pounds of strawberries and this is all we have left.  I froze 3 quart bags for smoothies. So tonight for dessert, Strawberry Shortcake!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment